A visual historical archive of the company.
All the images presented here were shot by Benbow Bros employees and are copyright 2008-2010 Benbow Brothers (Timber) Ltd. We apologize for the poor quality of some of the images. Where possible we have attempted to re-touch the photographs to clean the image and remove scratches.Please click on the thumbnail images to see a larger version.
1940s : 1946
Benbow Brothers was founded by the three sons of James Benbow: Jack (John Edward), Jim (William James) and Harry (Raymond Harry). Jack purchased some standing timber by selling Harry’s Motorbike while Harry was doing his national service.
The company’s first job site was in Poynton Springs Shropshire (Salop at the time). At this time the company was specializing in supplying fire wood. The business offices were the brother’s home cottage in Grinshill, Shropshire.
This photograph was taken by John Edward Benbow (Jack) in November 1946. It shows the company’s first mobile saw.
Having completed his national service Harry joined his brothers in the work. Here we can see him prepare for tushing (a Salopian word meaning to drag a heavy object) some fresh felled Birch.
Here’s Jack Benbow and Gerald Ridgeway (an early employee) ripping (sawing a log along its length) some Ash.
The brothers lead by engineer Jack rebuild the bodywork of an ex-military Morris-Commercial C8 Field Artillery Tractor Mk III (Quad) DAW201 to convert it for carrying timber. The Quad (named for its 4×4 drive) was previously used for towing 25 pounder field guns and was fitted with a four tonne winch, making it an ideal vehicle for conversion.
Harry Benbow dealing with a storm felled tree in Condover (~the centre of~) Shropshire in June 1948.
The Brothers use their Morris C8 Quad DAW201 to assist in felling a large Ash.
Harry Benbow and employee Taffy Morgan loading a large Beech trunk onto the Quad DAW201 at Bullocks Coppice, Condover, Shropshire.
The brothers purchase and build a Rack Bench Saw in Poynton Springs, August 1948.
Harry and Jim operating a Push Bench saw powered by a Petter Diesel engine at Poynton Springs in August 1948.
Detailed close-up of the Rack Bench at Poynton Springs.
The Brothers use DAW201 to help out at the Harvest at Geoffrey Ashtons’ Brockhurst farm in Lee Brockhurst Shropshire in September.
Loading DAW201 with the Corn Harvest.
Taffy Morgan and Harry Benbow sawing logs at Ashtons’ September 1948.
Morris Quad and a Log Carriage built by Jack Benbow at Wood Farm, Hadnall, Shropshire. November 1948.
Loading the Log Carriage at Wood Farm, Hadnall, Shropshire. November 1948.
The carriage greatly extended the amount of logs that the Quad could pull.
Peter Shakeshaft’s Rack Bench at Poynton.
Loading the Rack Bench with the Quad.
The Quad loaded with timber at Bettisfield in May 1949.
One man and his Gate jumping Dog at Bettisfield, May 1949.
Singer 9 and Calthorpe outfit at Fewtrels Poynton October 1949. You can also see Jack’s shadow as he took the photo.
Close-up of the Calthorpe outfit (Engine and Circular saw mounted on a mobile frame).
Harry Benbow peeling Birch logs for a client in Warrington.
V8 Petrol Engine driving a Rack Bench Saw in April 1950.
A photograph of Wem Moss (an area of peatland that has developed in a natural depression caused by glaciation common to north Shropshire, Clwyd, Staffordshire and Cheshire).
An International Harvester Farmall Cub Tractor modified with tail winch. March 1950.
Harry and another man building a trailer for the Farmall at Grinshill March 1950.
The Benbow Brothers and their “fleet” in June 1950 at the “Blasted Oak” on Wem Moss. The Calthorpe on the Left, the Farmall and custom trailer on the upper right and the Morris Quad in the bottom right.
Sawing Birch poles on the Calthorpe beneath the “Blasted Oak” in the June Sun. The Farmall sits waiting to tush the logs away.
Ken joins the company working for his father and uncles. He works in all departments, passes his HGV and soon establishes himself as a very proficient timber faller.
Ken pictured here with his new R reg truck shortly after returning from working abroad.
Having worked in industry after leaving university Les joins the family firm. He is pictured here with one of the self-loading HGV’s that he helped develop.
The two Brothers Ken and Les Benbow became joint Directors when the company went limited in 1982.
Gathering oak for the Severn Trow Spry – to read more about the “Spry” click here
Image reproduced from the book “Rebuilding the Severn Trow Spry” with permission.
During this time due to high-quality Eastern European timber lowering the prices of native woodland the company restructured placing greater emphasis on tree surgery and domestic tree care. The company merged with Midlands Tree Specialists at this time bringing new expertise to the company.
To present day
Benbow Brothers continues to expand their training and expertise. Recruiting and training younger arborists and tree surgeons. If you want to use our historical arboreal expertise simply contact us.